6 Important Factors to Consider Before Having a Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery cost in Hyderabad is very economical. When it comes to knee pain, many people look at knee replacement surgery as their last resort. However, despite being a highly invasive procedure requiring general anaesthesia, knee replacements have become common procedures that help most patients lead an active and fruitful life again. Moreover, with advancements in surgical techniques and post-operative recovery methods, the success rate of this procedure has improved significantly. The average life expectancy after a successful knee replacement is around 10-15 years. During this period, you can expect to have minimal pain and be able to resume your normal activities without any problems. Unfortunately, while some people can get by with simple home remedies or over-the-counter medications for their pain, others are not so fortunate. If you are one of the unfortunate ones who can’t get rid of your knee pain even after trying all the natural remedies, then you might want to consider undergoing total knee replacement surgery.
What is Knee Replacement Surgery?
The best knee replacement surgeon in hyderabad is known for the best treatment and patient satisfaction. Knee replacement surgery, also known as total knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure that involves replacing the damaged parts of the knee with artificial parts. The surgery can be done for either one or both knees, depending on the patient’s condition. The primary objective of knee replacement surgery is to relieve the pain caused by knee arthritis, a joint disorder that is typically accompanied by cartilage degeneration. After knee replacement surgery, most patients are able to resume their normal activities without any problems. Patients with knee arthritis can find relief from their pain and return to an active lifestyle with the help of knee replacements
Things to Consider Before Having a Knee Replacement Surgery
Total knee replacement surgery is recommended for the active life of patients.
- Age: A Limiting Factor for Knee Replacements The first factor to consider before undergoing knee replacement surgery is your age. While some surgeons allow patients above 60 years of age to undergo knee replacement surgery, others recommend against it. Therefore, you will have to discuss this with your surgeon who will take your medical history, medical condition, and other factors into consideration before recommending a knee replacement surgery. If you fall into the younger age group, say in the 30-40 years bracket, you can expect a knee replacement to last you anywhere between 10 and 15 years. Women who are undergoing menopause can also undergo knee replacement surgery. However, you will have to consider the fact that the female knee replacement lasts around 7 years, as compared to 10-year longevity in male patients.
Other Limiting Factors for a Successful Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee replacement surgery cost depends on the medical condition of the patient. Apart from age, there are other factors that you will have to keep in mind before undergoing knee replacement surgery. These include any pre-existing medical conditions, medical history, and lifestyle. Let’s take a look at all these factors in detail.
- Medical Conditions: If you have any medical condition such as diabetes, cardiac problems, or any other chronic condition, it is best if you get it treated as soon as possible. This is because these conditions can impede your recovery after the surgery.
- Medical History: If you have a history of joint replacement surgery or have undergone any other major surgery in your past, it is best if you don’t go in for a knee replacement surgery in the near future. This is because your body might not be able to take the stress of another major surgery.
- Lifestyle: Your lifestyle can also be a limiting factor if you lead an extremely sedentary lifestyle. This is because your knee replacement surgery might be able to withstand moderate activity but not rigorous activity.
The Pros of Having a Knee Replacement Surgery
- You do not have to live with pain: One of the biggest advantages of undergoing knee replacement surgery is that you do not have to live with chronic knee pain. After the surgery, you will be able to walk, run, and climb stairs with ease. You will also be able to drive again and lead a normal life.
- Improved quality of life: Apart from taking care of your knee pain, knee replacements also improve your quality of life. This means that you will be able to resume your normal activities again. You will be able to take part in sports, climb stairs, walk, and walk long distances with ease.
- Improved mobility: With knee replacement surgery, you will be able to walk on uneven surfaces without any problems. You will also be able to take part in sports without any issues.
The Cons of Having a Knee Replacement Surgery
- The surgery is invasive: One of the biggest cons of undergoing knee replacement surgery is that it is a highly invasive procedure. You will have to go through an incision, and most patients have to be put under general anaesthesia.
- Pain during recovery: Another con of knee replacement surgery is that it is painful during the recovery phase. Most patients report having prolonged pain even after taking painkillers.
- Risk of infection: While the risk of developing an infection after a knee replacement is low, there is always a chance that you might develop an infection in your wound or in the joint.
- Risk of complications: In rare cases, knee replacement surgeries can lead to complications such as blood clots, nerve damage, or a heart attack.
Knee replacements are slowly replacing knee braces as a go-to treatment for knee pain. This is because most knee replacement surgeries are successful and help you lead a normal life without any issues. You can expect to have less pain in your knee joints, increased mobility, and be able to walk, run, and climb stairs with ease after a successful knee replacement surgery. However, knee replacement surgery is not the right choice for everyone. While most patients can go through the surgery without any major complications, some patients are not so lucky. If you are one of the unfortunate ones who can’t get rid of your knee pain even after trying all the natural remedies, then you might want to consider undergoing knee replacement surgery. The surgery is a highly invasive procedure, but it is also highly effective in treating knee pain.